Grandparents with children


Raising a child is a very costly undertaking. Caregivers often find themselves with an increased financial burden when raising a relative child through Kinship care. This burden can appear to be very overwhelming at times, with seemingly few options and resources to assist these individuals. Programs and resources exist in order to provide financial assistance to caregivers, such as:


In many counties in Michigan, you can dial “2-1-1” on your phone and be connected to an operator that will connect you to services and resources in your area. More information about this resource can be found on our Basic Needs page.

Salvation Army

The Salvation Army has numerous locations throughout the state of Michigan and helps provide clothing, furniture, Utility Assistance, and Emergency Assistance Programs. Visit the Salvation Army’s website to learn more about how they can help and to search for locations in your community.

Assistance through DHS

The Department of Human Services (DHS) has multiple assistance programs that exist to help individuals in need. DHS provides cash assistance, food assistance, child care assistance, and medical assistance to eligible individuals. Eligibility is based upon need/income level for the majority of these programs. More information about these programs can be found in the paragraphs below. As DHS has a vast number programs and services they offer, visit our Working with the Michigan DHS page to learn some tips about making your experience with DHS a useful and successful

Child Only Grant

While most of the assistance programs available through the Department of Human Services (DHS) are based upon a caregiver’s (as head-of-household) income, the Child Only Grant is not. The Child Only Grant (also referred to as an Ineligible Grantee Award) is available for children who are being raised by a relative who is not a biological parent. This financial assistance is based upon the child’s income and assets; not the caregiver’s. More information about the Child Only Grant can be found in the KCRC’s You Are Not Alone brochure.

Cash Assistance

Temporary cash assistance is available for eligible pregnant women and low-income individuals with children as well as for individuals who are disabled or who care for a disabled individual. In general, DHS will take into consideration your assets, income, and residency to determine what—if any—benefits you may be eligible for. More information about DHS’ cash assistance program, eligibility requirements, and how to apply can be found by visiting the DHS website.

Food Assistance

Individuals who are eligible can receive temporary food assistance. Eligibility is based upon the financial situation of all household members. Your income, assets, and residency are taken into account when determining eligibility. Eligible individuals are given a Bridge Care to purchase certain food items. More information about DHS’ food assistance program, eligibility requirements, and application process can be found on the DHS website.

Child Care Assistance

Financial assistance is available to low-income individuals that cannot afford to pay for child care and that fit income eligibility requirements. For most families, DHS pays less than the full cost of child care. Families are expected to pay the difference between the DHS payment & the provider’s actual charge. More information about child care assistance, eligibility requirements, and how to apply can be found by visiting the DHS website.

Medical Assistance

Health care coverage is available to individuals who otherwise cannot afford it; covering children, families, and adults who meet eligibility requirements. The programs differ and eligibility requirements vary between each program. To learn more about the programs that you may qualify for, visit the DHS website.